Monday, March 30, 2009

Pesto Sauce and Freezing Tips

I really like this pesto sauce recipe from From Mommy's Kitchen. I've made it several times and the family always loves it - it's a nice easy sauce to mix with almost any type of pasta. I like to make it in big batches (when and if I can ever accumulate that much basil) and then freeze it in small servings so I can take them out quickly and serve them on short notice.

If I have learned anything cooking so much in the past couple years, it's to make extra of what you are cooking . . . and FREEZE it. I just adore having a freezer full of food for weeks when I don't have time to cook, have other things going on . . . or am, truthfully, completely lazy. I have my Sharpie and masking tape on hand in my kitchen drawer, so I can always label my items by type and by date. It makes it much easier to grab what I'm looking for quickly if I'm not holding the container up to the light trying to decipher what *may* or may not be inside.

For things like soup and chicken stock, I have learned to use ziploc bags, and lay them flat in the freezer because they take up far less space than a bulkier container. I label the front so I know what I have, and then I usually defrost such liquid items in a big bowl of hot water.

No comments: