Saturday, March 7, 2009

Week of March 8, 2009

The Fresh Pear and Curry Pasta on our menu last week was a surprising hit! It was absolutely fantastic, and I completely expected it to only be mediocre. Was I wrong. Paul had two bowls and even the Things picked at theirs a bit. It will definitely be on our long-range menu plan.

The Drunken Garlic Pot Roast was another favourite from last week - it was so rich and flavourful, much better than many of the roasts I've cooked (slow cooker or not). Two of the Things loved it and gobbled it up. With only one bottle of beer in the sauce, I figured a wee bit couldn't hurt them.

I didn't make the Beef Tacos last week so I'm hoping to fit that in this week, and I was able to find the recipe on the Everyday Food site.

Sunday: Pasta with Shrimp and Broccoli
Monday: Slow Cooker Smoky Beef Tacos
Tuesday: Leftovers/Freezer Meal
Wednesday: Beth's Roast Chicken
Thursday: Thing 1's birthday dinner - his choice
Friday: Linquine with Spring Vegetables
Saturday: Pot Luck dinner with friends, I'll be bringing - Crockpot Taco Soup

If I can fit it in this week or next, I'm going to try this pizza crust recipe I found. It looks easy - I hope. In the past I've not had much luck with pizza crust. The ones I usually make I do in my bread machine, and I have a feeling I don't knead the dough long enough. If this turns out better than my previous attempts, I will have an alternative to the Things' favourite pizza joint around the corner.

Fast and Easy Pizza Crust
adapted from The Best of the Best of Bridge Series

3/4 cup warm water
1 T active dry yeast (1 pkg)
1 T sugar
1 1/2 cup flour
1/4 t salt
1 T yellow cornmeal
1 T olive oil
cornmeal to sprinkle

Preheat oven to 450. Lightly oil a 12" pizza pan. In a small bowl, mix warm water, yeast and sugar together. Let sit until yeast activates, about five minutes.

In a large bowl, stir together flour, salt and cornmeal. Add yeast mixture and olive oil and knead to a smooth dough, about 10 minutes. Sprinkle a work surface with cornmeal and roll dough into a 13" circle and place on pizza pan. Crimp edges and add your favourite toppings. Bake for 10-15 minutes. Makes one 12" pizza.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you liked the drunken pot roast. I am making it again this week.

Those tacos also look really good- can't wait to hear how they turn out.