Sunday, March 22, 2009

Week of March 22, 2009

I cannot believe the bad luck I have had with the "Smoky Beef Tacos". I have posted this recipe half a dozen times and something always comes up so that I'm unable to make it. This week, I'm dedicated to making it. We will tacos on Monday if it kills me.

Last week's Irish Beef Stew was surprisingly delicious and very easy to make. Other than browning the beef before placing it in the crockpot, there was very little work involved, aside from smelling the delicious aroma all day in my kitchen!

Two of this week's menu items are from the April issue of Everyday Food, and they will not be posted to their site until April 1st, at which time I will add links.

Sunday: Stir Fry
Monday: Slow Cooker Smoky Beef Tacos
Tuesday: Spaghetti with Shrimp and Bacon (recipe from April, not posted yet)
Wednesday: Shepherd's Pie (have several in the freezer, thankfully)
Thursday: Dinner at Preschool Fundraiser (at a pub - yay!)
Friday: Pasta with Meat Sauce
Saturday: Spanish Tortilla with Bell Pepper (recipe from April, not posted yet)

I found this simple, basic recipe for Marinara Sauce in my Everyday Food magazine, and might try it this week. I am trying to cut down on meat (b/c it is expensive and not that good for us) and am looking for more veg-based pastas and other meals.

Rustic Marinara Sauce

from Everyday Food Magazine from Martha Stewart, March 2009

In a large pot, heat 2 T of olive oil, 2 minced garlic cloves, and a pinch of red pepper flakes over medium until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add two 28 ounce cans whole tomatoes with juice, crushed; season with salt and pepper. Cook at a rapid simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, about 15 minutes.

No comments: