Sunday, March 29, 2009

Week of March 29, 2009

Last week's smoky beef tacos were good - I think they might have been amazing had I not made a tiny error in cooking it. One so embarrassing I am unsure I can bring myself to share it here. Needless to say, it was a little dried out, but I suspect in following the recipe more carefully, they would have been spectacular. And despite my typing in "slow cooker" beef tacos, they were actually not cooked in the slow cooker, they were done in my dutch oven. Hmmmmm.

I'm excited to try Beth's Linguine with Clams and Bacon this week, as it has been in my "to make" pile for ages and I haven't gotten around to it. My husband is not a big clams guy (and I was born and raised on the East Coast of Canada . . . need I say more???) so I'm hoping he will be open to giving it a try. I'll point out that it has bacon . . . perhaps his love affair with bacon will allow him to see past the pesky tiny shellfish!

Sunday: Fast Pasta with Tomatoes
Monday: Spinach Salad with Spicy Shrimp and Mango
Tuesday: Crockpot Taco Soup
Wednesday: Cayenne-rubbed Chicken with Avocado Salsa
Thursday: Curried Lentils in tomato sauce
Friday: Home-made Pizza (a Friday night favourite now)
Saturday: Linguine with Clams and Bacon

Since I received a lot of zucchini in our organic basket this week, I'm going to make these zucchini-chocolate chip muffins. I made them several times last summer and they were a big hit. The boys didn't even notice the zucchini and gobbled them up.

I've been finding my boring and monotonous lunches a little more than I can take, so if the mood strikes I'm going to try this pressed mozzarella and tomato sandwich one mid-day this week.

Fast Pasta with Tomatoes
2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
1/2 cup chopped fresh basil
1-2 garlic cloves, minced
roughly 3 T olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
penne or rotini pasta
1 cup grated mozzarella or other cheese

In a.m. - combine tomatoes, basil, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Cover and leave to marinate on counter.

Later - cook pasta according to directions. Drain and return to pot. Add marinated veggies. Add cheese, toss, cover. Set aside for five minutes, until cheese melts slightly. Serve with salad and a baguette!

1 comment:

Loukia said...

I love your weekly menus! I so want to do this... and I keep saying I will do this... but I never do!
I don't get home until 5ish... so to start thinking about what to make for dinner at that time is not good, since my kids are starving! BUT, I pick up my boys from my moms twice a week, or three times a week, and she always has dinner ready for us there... the other 2 days/3 days, I pick up my boys from my mother-in-law's, so again, she has dinner for us there... so I guess I've lucked out during the week, for now anyway! But still, if I could get my at together, I could leave with the kids before dinner to go home and eat there, you know? I should at least make a weekend menu for starters, right? ;)