Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Home-made Granola


I became addicted to this granola about a year ago when I started making Beth's recipe. Our family loves it, and I really enjoy mixing up the ingredients and adding new things each time I make it. It's so easy, SO delicious, and so much cheaper than buying pre-made granola.

5 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
3 cups sweetened shredded coconut
1/2 cup sliced almonds or other nuts (I often use pecans)
3/4 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup honey
1 cup dried fruit or raisins
1-2 T ground flax seed
1 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350. In a large bowl combine the oats, coconut, flax seed, oil and honey.

Pour onto a large baking sheet. Bake for about 30 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until the granola is golden.

Allow to cool, stirring occasionally. Add the dried fruit or raisins if using. Mix well and enjoy as a cereal, on top of yogurt, or with a bowl of fruit.

4 comments:

nsmomof4 said...

I used to make granola a couple of years ago, and we loved it...some how the making of it got lost in my busy life and I returned to buying it. But now I am renewed in the memory of how good homemade granola is, and I like the look of your recipe - my girls and I will be making this soon! Thanks S!

Anonymous said...

Shan, 1/2 what of flax seed? tbsp cup? ...in case you don't know, I'm not much of a cook but I LOVE granola and would like to try and make this :)

Jenny

A Crafty Mom said...

Sorry!! I changed it - I throw in a couple Tablespoons of the ground flax stuff, just for extra health benefit!! You can't even taste it!

Jen said...

What a perfectly lovely recipe, Shan. I've been looking for a good granola recipe!