Sunday, February 22, 2009

Week of February 22, 2009

Last week's Penne with Ricotta and Pine Nuts was simple and more delicious than we expected. A good way to get some extra spinach in as well.

Here is this week's menu:

Sunday: Dinner at MILs
Monday: Mommy's choice (it's only my birthday once a year!)
Tuesday: Pasta with Shrimp and Broccoli
Wednesday: Crock Pot Chili
Thursday: Cayenne-rubbed Chicken with Avocado Salsa
Friday: Smoky Beef Tacos (recipe to be posted in March)
Saturday: Out at party

The Smoky Beef Tacos recipe comes from Martha Stewart's Everyday Food Magazine, and they don't post any of their recipes online until the first of the month (so the March magazine recipes don't go live until March 1st). I will add the link at that time, b/c they look *really* delicious.

Crock Pot CHILI
I got this recipe from my friend Tammi and I thought I'd try it out since I haven't made chili in ages and I couldn't find the recipe I use anywhere. This version seems simple enough that my kids should eat it.

2 cans of kidney beans
1 large onion (chopped)
1 green pepper (chopped)
2 stalks of celery (chopped)
1 lb of ground beef
1 can of sliced mushrooms
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp chili powder (or more to taste)
1 1/2 tsp of salt
Pepper and other seasonings to taste

Brown onion, pepper, celery and meat until meat is cooked and veggies are translucent.
Place in crock pot.

Add beans, mushrooms, tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings.

Cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours. (I will probably put it on low and leave it for most of the day.)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday tomorrow!! We are getting snow here in New England today so I hope you don't get snowed in on your birhday!

Love you weekly recipes and meal plans. I've tried a few recipes and they are great.

Unknown said...

What?! No Pancakes on Pancake Tuesday?
;-)
Lisa

Anonymous said...

I made your broccoli soup tonight and it is very delicious! I added a bit of cheese I had leftover in the fridge. I got the broccoli on the reduced produce rack so it was a very cost effective soup!

Thanks for sharing the recipe!