Monday, February 16, 2009

Week of February 15, 2009

This week's menu is not all that exacting because I am going to be using up a lot of things from the freezer as well as making a couple meals from past weeks that I *still* haven't managed to get to.

My husband made a delicious Hungarian goulash for Valentine's Day dinner. He "winged it" it a bit so I will get the recipe and post it when I get a chance. It was delicious and the leftovers were even better.

Sunday: Leftover goulash
Monday: Penne with Ricotta and Pine Nuts
Tuesday: Speedy Lentil and Bean Casserole
Wednesday: Pasta with Sausage and Mushroom Sauce
Thursday: Freezer Meal
Friday: Slow Cooker Chili (will post recipe)
Saturday: Roast Chicken and Roasted Potatoes

Last week's broccoli soup was fantastic. We got a cauliflower in our basket this week, so I may use the same recipe to make cauliflower soup - we are not big cauliflower fans and it seems like a good way to get some lunches for the week.

I also made the Kitchen Sink cookies and they - in all seriousness - are the best cookies I have ever eaten.


I didn't end up making the brownies for Valentine's Day, I made a batch of cupcakes for us to have at home, with leftover icing I had from my preschool cupcakes.

So far saving money is going well. We are using a lot of what we have and looking to our very full freezer for meats and other meals. I am trying to buy things on sale and have cut out foods and drinks that are not necessity. We are not drinking Perrier or Club Soda (favourites of ours), and actually we are mostly just drinking water. I am making cookies and things for the kids, so we are not buying very much of anything that is prepackaged. And, the kicker of course is that we are not buying wine. It just seems like a luxury for a family with no income, so we will save our wine-with-dinner days for the future.

(Yes, we had a bottle for Valentine's day, courtesy of my mother-in-law!)

No comments: