Sunday, January 25, 2009

Week of January 25, 2009

Last week's meals were quite good. I was especially happy with the home-made pizza (although I made my crust in the breadmaker and not using the recipe I posted) and thought it tasted excellent. My boys, Thing 1 and Thing 2, were not as excited and thought "it tasted better from the store". Hmm. Interesting.

With my little girl turning one I took my first shot at baking an angel food cake. It's not that it was especially difficult, but you do need everything to be "just so" and perfect, or it won't turn out absolutely wonderful. My first one I made too late at night, I was exhausted and forgot two ingredients, so I ended up making one again the next day. It was very good, although not as light and fluffy as I anticipated. I think that was because I baked it while one child was around (two were napping, one was at school). He was a good helper, although I don't believe I whipped the egg whites long enough . . . perhaps the "peaks" weren't of the desired firmness. It was still very tasty - everyone loved it.

After not being able to find an icing recipe that replicated the ones my grandmother used to make for us when we were kids, I went with this Caramel Whipped Cream from Martha and frosted the cake with that.


Can you say TO DIE FOR?

It was the best whipped cream I have EVER tasted in my life. It was the perfect match to a light, airy cake (well, you know, the one in the picture was anyway).

I'm trying two new recipes in the crockpot this week . . . it's January and freaking cold and I should be using it more. I'm also trying Beth's version of the Chickpea and Beef dish below, it varies slightly from the original that I tried a few months ago.

Sunday: Crockpot Taco Soup
Monday: Pasta with Meat Sauce (from freezer)
Tuesday: Crockpot Salsa Chicken
Wednesday: Lasagna from freezer, salad, garlic bread
Thursday: Veggie Omelets
Friday: Pasta with Sundried Tomatoes and Olives
Saturday: Spicy Sauteed Chickpeas and Beef with Cilantro

No comments: