Sunday, January 18, 2009

Week of January 18, 2008

I tried to choose recipes this week that were not overly difficult as this will be my first week with four kids to watch all day. I anticipate supper time being a little more dicey than normal now, so I'll have to adjust my cooking expectations accordingly. I will be watching my friend's son as she returns to work this week, and he is almost 11 months old.

Sunday: Dinner at Granny's
Monday: Spinach Salad with Tomato and Bacon (now a favourite here)
Tuesday: Quesadillas
Wednesday: Penne with Tomato, Tuna and Lemon
Thursday: Home-made Pizza
Friday: Easier Baked Penne
Saturday: Out for dinner with friends

I found this and thought it was a great idea for my kids, so I'll give it a go this week:
Home-made trail mix

And since we have two very special birthdays coming up on Thursday . . . I'll give this Angel Food Cake a whirl.

Recipes . . .

From Anne Lindsay's New Light Cooking (this is a favourite of ours that I have been cooking for years thanks to my friend Christine who made it for me ages ago and I subsequently went out and bought the book!)

Penne with Tomato, Tuna and Lemon

8 oz penne pasta
1 T olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp fennel seeds, crushed
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1 can (19 oz) chopped tomatoes (or 3 cups fresh)
1 can water-packed tuna, drained
2 T drained capers
1/4 cup coarse chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
Grated rind of half a lemon

1. In a large pot of boiling water, cook pasta for 8-10 minutes or until al dente. Drain well.

2. Meanwhile, in large nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat, cook garlic, fennel seeds and red pepper flakes, stirring, until garlic is softened, about 2 minutes.

3. Stir in tomatoes, tuna and capers; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until thickened slightly.

4. Stir in cooked pasta, parsley, lemon rind, and salt and pepper to taste.

From Healthy Mum, Happy Baby

Even Easier Baked Penne

3 cups penne
25 oz pasta sauce or 3 cups (I'll use Beth's Quick Meat Sauce from my freezer)
1 cup ricotta
1 T fresh basil
salt and pepper
1 1/2 cup mozzarella, grated

1. Preheat the oven to 350. Lightly butter a 9x9 inch baking dish.

2. In a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta for 8-10 minutes.

3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine 2 cups pasta sauce, ricotta, and basil; season with salt and pepper.

4. Add the cooked, drained pasta to the pasta sauce mixture and toss gently to combine. Spread 1/2 cup of remaining pasta sauce on the bottom of the baking dish. Spoon the pasta mixture into the baking dish and drizzle the remaining 1/2 cup pasta sauce over top. Sprinkle with mozzarella.

5. Cover baking dish with lid or foil and bake for 15 minutes. Remove cover and bake another 15 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The penne with Tomato Tuna and Lemon looks good- I am always looking for new things to do with pasta.

Good luck with the new little one!